How to Keep Your Virginia Home Rodent-Free in 2019
January 16, 2019
Here’s the thing about rodents, they are a potential threat throughout the year. While some pests hideaway for the winter, rodents remain active. It’s important to protect your home throughout the whole year, especially during the winter months. Winter is a common time for wildlife to seek out your home for warmth and shelter. With close proximity to food (your garbage and cupboards), they have it made. At the first signs you notice, action is needed!
The rodents that commonly invade properties in Virginia are house mice, field mice, roof rats, and Norway rats. To identify which one you may be dealing with, feel free to view our pest guide.
If you haven’t actually observed which pest is running around your home, there are signs to look for that give them away:
- Droppings or gnaw marks in your pantry or in other areas around your home. Mice droppings will be smaller than the droppings of rats.
- Their chewing could affect multiple places in your house; furniture, drywall, food packages, and much more.
- You may hear their movements coming from behind your walls or from the attic.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to seek professional help right away.
How to Keep Rodents Out of Your Virginia Home
To keep rodents out of your Virginia home you should put some prevention measures in place:
- Remove food sources and access to shelter. By inspecting the exterior of your home and pinpointing entry points, you can identify how rodents are getting in and seal up or repair anything questionable. Making it harder for them to get in may cause them to move on to the next place that’s more easily accessed.
- Cover your outdoor trash bins with tight-fitted lids and keep them away from the exterior of your home.
- Keep the food inside your house well contained. Clean up any crumbs or spills right away
- Trim bushes and trees away from the exterior of your home, as they may allow these pests to gain access to your roof.
Why DIY Methods Don't Work
It’s hard to guarantee that rodents will stay out by only using DIY pest control alone. Just when you think they’re gone, they come back. They are persistent, and they're chewing never stops. Rodents are pests that need to be taken very seriously. They pose a threat to you, your family, and your property. Not only can their incessant gnawing cause costly repairs, water damage, and fire hazards, but they bring pathogens into your home and can spread illnesses. Their chewing and defecating can contaminate food supplies, and their smell can be strong. To learn about all the problems rodents can cause, check out our article about the dangers of rodent infestations in Virginia. Rodents are pests you want out as soon as possible, and should take any steps possible to assure they will not return.
How to Get Rid of Rodents
Rodents are one of the most difficult pests to remove from your home, contact the professionals at RichPro Pest Management, Inc. to protect your home, family, and friends from these dangerous pests.